Medicare Eligibility

Understanding The Requirements There are many different components that go into Medicare eligibility and the type of coverage you can receive. If you’re confused or wondering about your medicare eligibility, don’t worry, you’re not alone. Below we’ve laid out the requirements to be eligible for medicare as well as some of the different services that Medicare covers.

Am I Eligible For Medicare?

Typically, people think of Medicare as only covering people that are 65 years of age or older. Typically, this is true. However, this is not the only way that you can receive Medicare. Below are several requirements for you to be eligible for Medicare.

  • You are at least 65 years or older
  • Have been on Social Security Disability for at least 24 months (regardless of age)

Medicare is aimed at covering those who are 65 years of age or older, younger people with disabilities or people who have End Stage Renal Disease, According to HHS.gov.

This is a general list of eligibility requirements. There are several different Medicare plans, and each of them have specific requirements necessary to receive coverage.

h

Medicare Plan A

If you want to be eligible for premium-free Medicare Part A, you must:

  • Be age 65 or older and you or your spouse worked and paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years.

There are ways to get Medicare Part A (if you are 65 or older) without having to pay premiums. You may be eligible for this if:

  • You receive retirement benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board
  • You are eligible to receive Social Security or Railroad benefits but you have not yet filed for them
  • Your spouse or you had Medicare-covered government employment

If you and your spouse did not pay Medicare taxes while working but you are 65 or older, you may be able to buy Medicare Part A.

h

Medicare Plan B

Unfortunately, there is no way to receive free Medicare Part B. Typically, the monthly premium for this plan of Medicare is deducted from your Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or Civil Service Retirement check.

If you do not fall into any of these categories, you will be billed every three months for your premium of Medicare Part B.

h

Medicare Plan D

Medicare Part D generally covers prescription drugs. There are two ways that you can get Part D prescription drugs coverage:
1) Voluntary enrollment in a stand-alone Medicare Part D plan OR
2) Enrollment in Part C (Medicare Advantage) plan that offers Part D prescription drug coverage.

Overall, Medicare generally coverage about 80% of your Medical Cost. This leaves you with 20% of the costs to pay out of your pocket.

If you still aren’t sure whether or not you’re eligible for Medicare, you can check on the eligibility calculator that is provided by www.medicare.gov.

Still Have Questions?

At Accurate Choice Insurance, we care about matching a health insurance plan that specifically fits your eligibility, needs and lifestyle. There is no “one size fits all” Health Insurance plan anymore. That’s why Accurate Choice Insurance is here to help. If you have questions or would like to learn more about coverage options, contact us at info@accuratechoiceins.com or 702-425-4100!

Request My Consultation

Pin It on Pinterest

"Getting Started With Medicare Guide"

"Getting Started With Medicare Guide"

This guide is packed with informative details on Medicare coverage and a Medicare Plan Finder Worksheet. This allows you to organize your notes while comparing up to 3 different medicare plans.

FANTASTIC! Check your email in a few hours your guide will be attached!